4.12.2011

Improv  Single Lazy-Girl Quilt Tutorial
 Yes. This girl, being up way too late
are in my room chatting about all things computer, 
thinks Lazy Girl Quilt, 
a more appropriate name,
and quite funny at this wee hour.
  A dandy name for the soon to be embarked upon quilt! 
and this girl keeps promises given, so here we go...

This tutorial is a rather simple improv version of a Single Girl quilt. Several lovelies will be joining this girl in my homey home every other Thursday evening to create this quilty goodness.  An olde fashioned, yet quite modern, quilting circle we will be. Lots of fun, and maybe some chocolate and wine, we will have. Here are the detaily details if you would like to do the same in your own homey home. After this week, I will start a flickr group for us to show all our quilty goodness.

I have worked 3 sizes. Again, this is my own improv version:

Each full circle is a whopping 22" square.

Queen - 88"x110"
it will be 4 circles by 5 circles

Throw or Lap quilt - 66"x88"
it will be 3 circles by 4 circles

Baby - approx 44"x44"
it will be 2 circles by 2 circles


I highly suggest using a Kona Cotton for the solid colored fabric. They are consistent in color if more of the same hue is needed later. This girl tends to buy things in smaller increments. It seems that each complete circle takes about 2/3 of a yard. I am using 'bone' by Kona for all of the solid. Another lovely is using different colors for each circle. We will only purchase fabrics for the quilt top at this time. I usually wait until I have completed the top to choose the back, binding and batting. I do not pre-wash my fabrics.

To begin our improv version, cut the desired quarter-of-a-circle shape out of a 11" SQUARE piece of paper. Mine is not quite a true circle, The 'corners are pushed out a little, making it a square-ish circle. We will use these 3 pieces as a template, simply adding 1/2" around all edges to allow for seam allowance. You will see better as we go along. I promise.


We will begin by making our first quarter circle piece:


 And trim, leaving 1/2" for seam allowance:


 Here is how:

To make this curved piece, begin by arranging scraps in the order you would like:



Join the first 2 fabrics, making sure they are plenty wide:


Open up and press flat with your fingers.
Lay the template over and see where the next shape should go:


Add on the next piece. Notice how I angle them to get them in the shape of the template:


Continue attaching random widths at angles:



 When your curved strip is wide enough,  go to the ironing board, and press it:


Pin on the template:


Cut curved strip, leaving 1/2" seam allowance all around:


Now pin your other 2 templates to your solid fabric.
I used a white for most of this tutorial.
Cut, leaving 1/2" for seam allowances:


Here are the 3 pieces so far:


Next I folded my pieces, marking the 1/2 way point on both edges of the curve, and on each of the curved lines of the white fabric:




You can see my markings at the fold a little better here:


Pin together at the center point and the 2 edges:


Now, go pin-crazy if you like, easing the curve as you go. 
 Stitch 1/2" from edge, easing the fabric as you go along.
Open up and admire your improv goodness:


Now we will sew on the remaining shape.
Match the center points and the edges as we did previously:



  Press, then you can begin joining them together as they are completed:


(After making 2 quarter circles, this practical momma decided white pillows in a house full of fun loving boys probably would not be the best of ideas. I actually ripped out the white and switched it for grey.) Here you can see that I did each step, four at a time. I don't know why. But that is what I did. You can do them one at a time if you like.



Finally, join all four quarter circles, right sides together. 
You can see here how I pressed the seams in opposite directions so the center point is not too bulky.



Here you can see the 4 quarters joined together:

 

After a bit of colorful hand-stitching, 
this became a simple pillow for folks resting on our couch,
...or little ones rolling on the floor...

Now I will begin my Lazy-Girl quilt 
with the company of some lovely ladies.


3 comments:

  1. Tina, I am so impressed & excited about the lazy girl tutorial. Wow!! A favorite, for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial. I might just quilt along with you if I can manage it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin and Leanne, It would be fun to have you join us! But...please wait a smidge to purchase the solid fabric. I am refiguring the measurements as I think it is taking more than I listed. I purchased some bone Kona cotton fabric that I know I can purchase more of the same as I need it. Kona is pretty consistent in their colors from bolt to bolt. I will get to a better measurement for the solid fabrics soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...