This is a quilt I have been working on for a few weeks. It is a twin sized quilt that I am being commissioned to make for a boy's room. I am planning on using free-form to machine quilt it. I am looking forward to the transformation and depth the quilting will give it.
I just learned an easier way to do applique.
Here I used a piece of butcher paper cut to the exact size of one of the mast pieces and the fabric piece cut 1/2" larger all around. I used the iron to push and press the hems over the paper saving fingertips from burnage. A good thing. When the paper is removed the fabric retains its shape and is more easily pinned down to your project then sewn into place.